There was an error in this gadget

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Hey Sybil, What actually got you into wrestling. And, what was it that convinced you to get into video work? J. W.

I am pretty sure I answered this before, but it is a question I get asked quite often. I was working full time and started modeling to make extra money. Then I started training to run the Detroit Marathon in 2004. I had to train late at night to get some of my runs in, and I was often alone. After a few strange incidents (almost getting accosted at a Wendy's, being flashed at the arboretum, having to get security to take care of a gentleman who was harassing me at a Vegas night where I was running to roulette table. . etc) I thought I should now how to defend myself. . I started going to "fight club" where they train in BJJ. My first class I was the smallest person in the room, and the only woman. My very first arm bar I went into perfectly, and I remember my trainer saying "look at her, see how she does it." It was awesome! I got so excited, and it seemed like magic to me almost, and it also seemed like I had some muscle memory of things already (Mildred Burke felt that way the first time she wrestled, too, like she had done it before). So, I ran the Detroit Marathon in October of 2004. I was raising money for Children in America who's parents had died of AIDS. Right after the marathon I was contacted by the since defunct LUSA Entertainment (they operate under a different name and system now) to come model and fight on their websites. The same time Dan Severn's company out of Coldwater, MI called and asked if I would work as a ring girl for their MMA fight promotion. Not two weeks later, I worked for LUSA, where the first thing they did was teach me some Judo. . and then I went and took promo pictures in Dan Severn Merchandise, and asked them if I could be a part of their pro-wrestling organization, as I am a huge fan. . . They told me I could come valet, so I worked my first show in December of 2004. By July of 2005 I had no vacation time left at my jobby job, and I really wanted to work with webringit.com in Lake Tahoe. . so I gave my two weeks notice, and I never looked back. I started training in pro-wrestling in Feb/March of 2005 and MMA later that year. . . for a while I trained in both at the same time. . the rest is history. . .

Ask me things about wrestling, down jackets, modeling, fighting, shiny tights, pro-wrestling. . etc

No comments: